Pangong Tso Versus Tso Moriri
Most visitors to #Ladakh, make a mandatory trip to #PangongTso, made famous by the last scene in the #Bollywood blockbuster 3 Idiots, in which Kareena drives a scooter in a lehenga and rushes to meet love of her life Aamir. The spot has become a mandatory #selfie location for tourists who flock here.
However, if you are up for something #different while on your trip to #Ladakh, then head to the more remote #Tso#Moriri.
And here’s why you should visit Tso Moriri:
- Tso Moriri is the #largest high altitude lake fully inside Indian territory, while most of Pan
gong Tso is in Tibet/China. It is 29 kms long and about 8 kms wide.
- Tso Moriri is located in the breath-taking valley of #Rupshu, at an altitude of 4000 mts above sea level.
- Tso Moriri attracts a range of #wildlife, including migratory #birds, #marmots and rarely the #Tibetanwolves and #Tibetan #wildass. Being part of the wetland reserve under #Ramsar site, it is actual known as Tsomoriri #Wetland Conservation Reserve.
- Since, it is very near to the Line of Actual Control, one needs to get Inner Line Permit to visit Tso Moriri.
- The lake has multi shades of blue and has a picturesque landscape around it.
- Tso Moriri remains frozen from January to March. The lake usually melts in April and remains unfrozen till mid-September.
- It does not get as many tourists as Pangong Tso and so remains more untouched by civilization.
- The driving distance between #Leh and Tso Moriri is 240 kms, about 7 hours by road.
- The drive itself is beautiful, as you will cross the #Chumathang plateau to reach the lake.
- As the lake is located 240 kms from #Leh, the trip cannot be done in a day. An overnight stay is recommend which will add to the beauty of your vacation as you will witness the most amazing sunset and sunrise over the blue lake.
Join #SoulPurpose and we take an 8-day leisurely vacation to some amazing places in Ladakh, like Tso Moriri and the Aryan village of Bheema.